Skip to content

Doing Business in Campbell

Below are some helpful tips on starting a business in Campbell. Joining the Chamber is also a great way to network and market your product or service. We invite you to learn more about us and how we can be a value asset to your success.

Obtain Other Permits and Licenses:

In most cases, a Campbell Building Permit is required for demolition and replacement of existing construction, additions, expansions, alterations, or remodeling. Contact the Campbell Building Division at 408-866-2130.

A permit is required for any sign on the outside of the building including permanent and temporary signs or banners. Contact the Campbell Planning Division at 408-866-2140

If you are engaged in business in California or intend to sell or lease tangible personal property (wholesale or retail), a permit is required from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDFTA) at 250 S. Second St., San Jose, CA 95113 408-277-1231. More information about seller’s permits is available here. You can also apply for a permit online.

You must register for an EIN, also known as a Federal Income Tax Identification Number. State Employment Tax Office 1-888-7453886. Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040 or apply online.

If you will be selling food, a permit is required from the County Environmental Resources Agency, Department of Environmental Health at 1555 Berger Dr. Ste. 300, San Jose, CA 95112 408-918-3400

If you will be selling alcoholic beverages, a license is required from the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, at 100 Paseo de San Antonio, Room 119, San Jose, CA 95113 408-277-1200

Many professional businesses such as accountants, engineers, doctors, and dentists require a State license. Businesses such as barbers, cosmetologists, security services and auto repairs are also required to obtain a State license. To find out if your business must be registered, call the California Department of Consumer Affairs at 1-800-344-9940

If your business will involve the import or export of products with other countries, you may need an Import/Export Permit from the United States Customs Service at 415-782-9210.

You’re required to carry both Workers compensation and general liability insurance. Contact a local insurance agent to discuss all your options.

Obtain Other Permits and Licenses:

Scroll To Top